Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Our Little Trooper - Will

Will successfully got his pinky finger stuck in our bedroom door yesterday...thanks to one of his big sisters throwing a temper tantrum. She slammed our door with Will right behind her...I am not sure if he opened the door and she slammed it again or if she just opened it herself and then slammed it. Either way, it got slammed again, this time with Will's pinky finger pinched in between. By now he was screaming and she was pushing the door to keep it shut. I realized that his screaming was a painful scream and ran to help and found the finger lodged. I quickly ran him into the bathroom and realized - to my horror - that his fingertip was dangling. I grabbed towels and tape to do a makeshift cast - all the while yelling at the girls to get to the van. And of course, Will was screaming at the top of his lungs too.
Getting to the ER was uneventful, thankfully. Will held his arm up the whole drive and we arrived to find my dad & sister waiting to help (I had taken a minute to call my dad).
Will's finger was x-rayed and he received a shot to numb his finger. While getting the stitches, he actually fell asleep! He slept the whole time! Praise God!!! We were told by a number of people how well behaved he was. It wasn't a fun situation...but he did really well, better than we could ever hope for!
No bones were chipped or fractured. He may lose his fingernail and a new one may not grow back. Only time will tell. We go to see the plastic surgeon to see if there is any nerve damage on Friday.

1 comment:

Brad said...

Wow! Look at the size of that finger! Poor boy. I hope you gave him ice cream!