With only a few days left before school starts, I wanted to do something special with the kids. I was trying to think of a fun day trip or even an overnight somewhere. I presented a few ideas to the kids and asked if they had any suggestions. They had the same ideas I did...Mall of America, Chicago, Wisconsin Dells...but everything suggested was a bit too far and/or a bit too expensive. We settled on Iowa City for the day.
We really didn't have a plan - other than eating lunch and dessert at Cheddars. We hit up a few Goodwills and then headed towards the mall. About that time, Alex said her stomach was hurting, so we bypassed the mall. We drove around a bit and her stomach seemed to settle - thankfully!
While driving around, I got a call from Matt saying that he was in town for a stop and asked if we wanted to meet up with him over his lunch break. We decided to meet at Hurts Donuts (conveniently!) and picked up a snack / breakfast for the next day! It was a nice surprise to see him. After Hurts, we drove up towards the hospitals so I could show the kids the sports arenas as well as the hospitals (where Matt delivers many oxygen tanks throughout the year and also where my dad helped plaster/finish many of the additions along the way).
We found a parking spot so we could snap a few pictures by Kinnick Stadium and we drove around Carver Hawkeye Arena.
I know that a few of them rolled their eyes at me...but I love that they still do silly things (sometimes without being asked!) for me. Of course, I may have promised Steak & Shake Ice Cream at this point in time...
I thought of this quote from Christmas Vacation as the kids "moosed" it up for me...I can definitely hear Alex saying this...
Audrey: I hope nobody I know drives by and sees me standing in the yard staring at the house in my pajamas.
Art: If they know your dad, they won't think anything of it. On the way home, we hit a small thunderstorm (there had been warnings all afternoon, luckily they were all south of us) and we loved seeing this beautiful rainbow (double rainbow at one point).
Now to start back with school - full swing!
No comments:
Post a Comment